Happy Friday! 5th grade had a great week. We officially finished our novel, ending with a loud round of applause. It was a great book to start the year with and the kids did an awesome job. A final project has been assigned. Students are to complete one project from the choice board. They have a copy of the choice board and it has also been posted on Google Classroom. Projects are due Thursday.
One popular question we have had lately has been about missing work. Some have been wondering how parents and students can be aware of what is missing. Here are some protocols we have in place to help communicate this to students:
* We are having students check Aspen every Friday. If they see a 50% on an assignment, that indicate it is missing.
* When we pass graded work back to students, we are emphasizing that if they did not get the assignment back, it is because it was not turned in and is missing.
* We are also touching base with individual students when we notice 1+ assignments are missing in one of our classes.
The quarter is ending in 2 weeks, all missing work must be turned in by Friday, October 29th.
* Novel project due Thursday (10/28)
* Greek and Latin Unit 3 will begin this week
* New Social Studies unit will begin this week- "Global Movement, Connections and Consequences"
* New Math unit will begin next week- "Bits and Places, Ratios, Equivalent"
Students can dress up in an appropriate costume for school on Friday, October 29th. Principal Humphrey sent out specific details about this in a previous Coonley blast. Please see for details.
We will have a classroom party Friday afternoon with a healthy/nut free snack and activities. 5th grade will be participating in the parade that will begin at 2:20 outside. Parents/families are welcome to come and watch!
Happy Friday! What a great day for Pride Stride- the kids had so much fun and it certainly set a great energy for the day. The students' science research projects were turned in today and they look GREAT! We will be doing presentations next week.
Updates for next week:
* Math- test Tuesday (there is a study guide)
* Math- My Favorite Number Project is due Thursday
* Social Studies test Thursday- there is a study guide
* Social Studies- Native American Unit Project due Friday
* Reading- Wordly Wise Lesson 3 Test Friday
* Reading- we will be finishing out novel next week. We will focus on the skills theme and plot. Students will be assigned their final project. It will be due the following week.
Have a wonderful weekend!!
Happy Friday! We all had a great week. Their science projects are coming along really nicely! They are working hard on their facts and gathering images for their posters. If you need help obtaining a poster, please let Ms. Butala know. They also are working on mood murals this week in reading that integrates art. They are drawing a scene from the novel in colors that communicate the mood. They are very creative!
* The Ch. 18-27 think sheet will be due mid week next week.
* Greek and Latin Unit 2 Test on Wednesday
* Grammar Quiz on Thursday (We will review Tuesday)
* STAR 360 Math & Reading scores are coming home today
Have a great weekend!
Happy Friday 5th Grade Families! We had a great week in 306 and 307!
Here are some updates:
* Chapters 12-17 Think sheets are due on Monday (Reading)
* Students should continue to practice their multiplication facts 1-12
* Math Quiz-Thursday on Prime Factorization
* Ms. Smith has posted details about Quiz Corrections on both of her Google Classrooms for students to review when needed
* Science project (poster) due October 15th
* 306 has their Wordly Wise Test on Monday
* Progress reports are coming home today
* Students got NEW AGENDAS and are loving them! (Blue) We are signing our initials at the bottom of each day
* Meet and Greet Monday @6:00 pm (We will be emailing the Google Meet Link out Monday Morning)
Have a fantastic weekend!!
Hello and happy Friday! Here are some important updates for next week:
* Math quiz on Tuesday
* Reading quiz on Thursday (covering chapters 1-16 in our novel)
* Wordly Wise Lesson 1 Test on Friday
* Progress reports- Oct 1st
* Curriculum night will be Oct. 4th 6:00 pm (we will send out a Google Meet Link next week)
* Students should be practicing their multiplication facts 1-12
* Science project was assigned today, it is due Oct. 15th. Students have a sheet that explains expectations and it includes a graphic organizer to help gather information. They will have every Friday in class to work until the 15th.
* Students should not be bringing any technology from home (example: iPads) If they have a smart watch, we ask that they do not use it for communication during the school day. Thank you!
Have a wonderful weekend!
Happy Friday! We had another great week in 5th grade! In reading we have started our first novel, Insignificant Events in the Life of a Cactus. Students have been provided with a copy of the novel. We spent the week focusing on asking thoughtful questions as we read. Here is a synopsis of the novel:
Aven Green loves to tell people that she lost her arms in an alligator wrestling match, or a wildfire in Tanzania, but the truth is she was born without them. And when her parents take a job running Stagecoach Pass, a rundown western theme park in Arizona, Aven moves with them across the country knowing that she’ll have to answer the question over and over again.
Her new life takes an unexpected turn when she bonds with Connor, a classmate who also feels isolated because of his own disability, and they discover a room at Stagecoach Pass that holds bigger secrets than Aven ever could have imagined. It’s hard to solve a mystery, help a friend, and face your worst fears. But Aven’s about to discover she can do it all . . . even without arms.
Students will be assigned chapters to read for homework some nights and have activities, quizzes and projects throughout the unit. We are off to a great start!
* Greek and Latin Lesson 1 Test Wednesday
** Band sign up meet is this week:
NEW BAND STUDENTS
Students in 5th-8th grade interested in joining band, please fill out this BAND SIGN-UP FORM with a parent/guardian by Friday, September 24th and attend the Virtual Parent Info Meeting on Monday, September 20th at 4:30pm at this GOOGLE MEET LINK. (The meeting previously schedule for Sept 16th was canceled and rescheduled to Monday, Sept 20th at 4:30pm)
Have a great weekend!!
Happy Friday! We hope that you had a great week. 5th grade had a wonderful week starting some of our new units in different classes.
Over the past 2 weeks, we have observed students transitioning between our classes with their materials. One material we think that students could benefit from, but wasn't on the supply list is a binder. We think that a binder or a small tote could help students carry materials back and forth. For example, students could put their folders in a two inch binder and carry it to their different classes. Please speak with your child to consider if this would help them.
Updates for next week:
* STAR 360 Testing next week:
- MATH on Thursday
- ELA on Friday
* Picture day is Wednesday, September 15th
* In ELA- we will be starting our first Greek and Latin Unit. It will be a copied packet that will stay in their red Reading folder. We will be alternating between Wordly Wise and Greek and Latin Units every 1.5 weeks.
Have a wonderful weekend!
What a great first week in 5th grade! It has been amazing to get to know the two classes and students individually. They have done a great job learning our schedule, transitioning between classes, and community building. We have spent time reflecting on what they bring to our classroom and creating expectations in order to have a safe and positive environment for all. Here are some updates:
* There are no Coonley agenda books this year. 5th grade is using agenda sheets (this week was yellow and next week is orange). We are writing down assignments together every day and are placing our initials next to each daily box.
* WW Lesson 2 test on Friday (Ms. Butala goofed and started with 2, we will go back to 1 after)
* Water fountains are not in use, students need to bring a water bottle to school
* 307 has their "What do I bring to the classroom?" project due Tuesday.
* In social studies, we are focusing on identity and what it means to be apart of a community
* In science, we will begin our first unit , Patterns of the Earth and Sky
* In math, we are reviewing multiplication facts and will be starting our first unit on Tuesday (Primetime- Redbook)
Hello 5th Grade families!
It was so nice to see so many of you at our meet and greet! I can't wait to see all of the kids on Monday on our first day of school! Here are some reminders/updates that may be helpful for you for the start of school:
* We suggest bringing more than one mask to school. The kids are able to take it off for their socially distanced recess, and they may want an additional mask for the afternoon.
* Entry and dismissal will be at door #10 (Belle Plaine)- students are able to self dismiss at the end of the day at this location. I will be picking up the class from this location in the morning.
* Independent school supplies should be brought on Monday (if they did not leave them here yesterday)
* Please do not send any nut based lunch items for the first few days. Lunch will be in the MPR and the staff there are still designating nut free zones.
* Students will be creating their Creative Writing Notebooks on Tuesday- they can bring in any fun markers, pictures, stickers to use. (I will also have decorations available).
* If your child is currently reading a book, they can start bringing it in for independent reading time.